Utility Services FAQ

Utility Services FAQ 2016-10-16T19:33:00+00:00
I live outside of town, do i buy my water tap from the City or SAWS? 2012-04-02T16:30:21+00:00

If you will be connecting to a water line in the SAWS (Sheridan Area Water Supply)area you will need to purchase the tap through SAWS. The City will do the inspection of the installation prior to the ditch being backfilled.

I am building a commercial shop; do I have to put in floor drains? 2012-01-03T15:24:26+00:00

 The building code requires a floor drain in a new building that will have a overhead door, we will require a sand interceptor on all commercial buildings that have a floor drain that are plumbed to the sanitary sewer.

Do I need a grease interceptor for a café I am looking to build? 2011-12-14T21:27:16+00:00

Yes.  Any commercial kitchen must have a grease interceptor that meets  the requirements of the Plumbing Code.

I am looking for the depth of a sewer main for a certain area of town, where can I find that information? 2017-04-17T16:04:38+00:00

We have all the City water and sewer as-built drawings in the Utility Administration office at City Hall.

I want to be licensed with the City to install services, what do I need to do? 2012-01-03T15:30:14+00:00

If you want to do excavation only, you only need a excavator licensee uless you are a plumber or general contractor.  If you want to install pipe also, you will have to take a utility contractor’s test.  These tests are administered from the Utility Service office for people who meet the requirements and who are insured and bonded.

I will be installing water and sewer soon for a project, is there any thing that is required? 2011-12-14T21:36:10+00:00

Yes.  To excavate or install utilities you have to be licensed with the City of Sheridan.  For water services the City will make the tap. For sewer services, a licensed master plumber must do the tap. All water and sewer services or mains must be inspected by the City inpector before being backfilled.

I received a notice from the city that my backflow device needs tested. Why? I just installed it last year and it was tested then. 2012-01-04T18:30:39+00:00

Per DEQ regulations and City ordinance 1946 backflow assemblies are to be tested upon installation and annually thereafter.

I want to develop land that I own, is water and sewer available? 2011-12-14T21:41:28+00:00

Please contact the Planning Department and be asked to put on the DRC agenda.  All departments will be represented to answer any of your development needs. Contact information for the Planning Department can be found on their webpage.

Can I get a inspection for my water and sewer service lines that were installed? 2011-12-14T21:49:50+00:00

Yes, you have to set up the appointment with the Building Department, and they will then put it on our schedule.  You must set up the appointment a minimum 8 hours in advance of the inspection.  The Building Department can be reached at 674-5941

Can I get a copy of water and sewer drawings for a certain address? 2017-04-17T16:06:30+00:00

Yes, these are located in the Utility Administration office at City Hall.

How much are water and sewer taps? 2017-10-13T08:10:36+00:00

Refer to Resolution #30-17 for all connection charges and Plant Investment Fee’s.