Utility Maintenance FAQ

Utility Maintenance FAQ 2017-01-30T09:58:30+00:00
There are green/orange/blue markings on my property. What does that mean? 2016-10-13T14:46:44+00:00

This usually means they are surveying or locating underground utilities in preparation for infrastructure replacement or repair. 

There is a large amount of water coming out of the ground, what should I do? 2011-12-14T17:55:47+00:00

Contact the Police Department at 672-2413 and have Utilities Maintenance paged.

How about some information on water meters. 2011-12-12T23:43:08+00:00

The City of Sheridan has one full time meter technician who reads and maintains water meters for the City and the Sheridan Area Water Supply (SAWS). The meter shop phone number is 672-5794 (best to call late afternoon). In addition to reading the meters, staff also turns water off in emergencies/delinquencies, replaces old meters, repairs systems, and tests existing meters.

Why is my water meter so noisy? 2011-12-29T18:48:04+00:00

It is due to the volume of water running through the meter as well as the plastic chambers and clicking of the meter registers. Please call City hall 307-674-6483 to set up a work order with the utility billing division to have the meter changed out.

Why is my water bill so high? 2011-12-12T23:50:10+00:00

You may want to check to make sure your faucets or toilets are not leaking. These types of leaks are constantly using water and running up your water bill. If you do not believe you have any leaking appliances in your home, you can contact the Utility Billing division at City Hall 674-6483 to further investigate your water use. They have historical records for water use at your address and can help you evaluate whether this is an accurate reading.

Why does my water have a brown tint? 2011-12-12T23:54:28+00:00

The light brownish color in the water is iron that leaches from the inside of water mains that are 50 or more years old. These pipes are not lined and the corrosive effect of our water eats away at the metal of the pipe. This is not harmful from a health standpoint and will usually clear up in 24 hours, if the discoloration does not go away please call the Utility Maintenance Department 672-0129 so we can set up a flushing schedule.

Where can I get information on my water/sewer tap? 2011-12-14T15:17:20+00:00

The location of your water & sewer tap on main lines can be obtained from Utility Services in City Hall at 674-6483.

  There is no application for this and it is free.

Can you fix my streetlight? 2011-12-14T17:48:22+00:00

Typically streetlights belong to Montana Dakota Utilities, please contact MDU at 1-800-638-3278

How do I get City owned underground lines located? 2011-12-12T23:37:25+00:00

Call One-Call of Wyoming at 811

Why is my water off? 2011-12-14T15:26:11+00:00

The water may be off for several reasons such as construction in the area, a broken water main, frozen water pipes or delinquent payment. If you are unsure why the water is off and you were not notified please call Utility Maintenance at 672-0129 or after hours the Police Department at 672-2413

Why is the light flashing at the pump station? 2012-01-05T19:58:10+00:00

This is a signal that there is a malfunction with the pump station, please contact the Police Department at 672-2413 and have Utilities Maintenance paged with the location of the station.

What should I do about the sewer smell in my house? 2016-10-13T14:58:40+00:00

Put water in all the drain traps, these keep the sewer gas out when full of water.

My water service line is leaking, will the City repair it? 2011-12-14T17:32:42+00:00

 The City is responsible for the water main in the street, the property owner is responsible for the water service piping from that connection on the City owned main to the building meter and within the building.

Does the City locate underground water service lines to homes? 2012-01-04T17:54:07+00:00

The property owner is responsible for the water service line from the connection on the city owned main to the home. The city does not locate private service lines; however property owners can request a copy of their water or sewer drawing from Utility Services on third floor of City hall (674-6483) at no cost.

I have sewage backing up in my house, what should I do? 2011-12-09T21:31:41+00:00

Contact the Police Department at 672-2413 and have Utilities Maintenance paged.

How do I get my water shut off in emergencies? 2011-12-09T21:32:41+00:00

Call the Police Department at 672-2413 and have Utilities Maintenance paged.